PREEDY’S CAR MAINTENANCE TIPS
With gasoline prices steadily on the rise we are always looking for ways to help reduce the hit we take at the pump. One way to cut down on fuel costs is to keep up with the regular maintenance on your vehicle.
While it’s true that most newer cars don’t require the kind of tune up we did a generation ago, all vehicles require some routine maintenance to perform at their peak. Routine maintenance helps avoid performance problems such as hard starting, misfiring, surging, hesitation, and stalling. Listed below are some ways to help keep your vehicles performance at its peak and increase your fuel economy.
- Damaged or worn out spark plugs can hurt vehicle performance and cut fuel efficiency. Replace your spark plugs at recommended intervals to keep your vehicle performing at peak levels.
Engine Oil and Filter
- Changing the engine oil and filter is probably the most important service to perform on any vehicle.
- Replace your engine oil and filter every 3,000 miles to help prevent engine failure.
- A dirty air filter restricts the airflow to the engine and makes it work harder, reducing horsepower and fuel efficiency.
- Inspect the air filter regularly and replace as needed to help help keep your vehicle running at peak performance.
- Just as an air filter can restrict airflow into the engine, a dirty fuel filter restricts the flow of gas to the engine and can cause the engine to lose performance and stres the fuel pump.
- Replace the fuel filter at recommended intervals to help keep your vehicle running at peak performance.
- Most people do not pay much attention to their tires, but a simple thing like checking your pressure can make a big difference over time. Over-inflated and under-inflated tires cut vehicle performance including fuel economy.
- You should have your tire pressure checked and inflated to the manufacture’s recommendations at least once per month.
Please feel free to give us a call with any questions you may have about your car’s performance. We are located in Spokane, WA and here to service your car.